Monday, June 15, 2009

As I was walking this morning along the canal I started talking to Sarayu. I often just keep talking and asking until I feel as if I have things under control- well the truth is I am never going to have things under control and deep down neither do I want to have this. When we do, life is taken out of the equation- Life is full, life is always changing, life is being flexible and open to what could be- if we have things planned out it takes away the sense of wonder and the sad part is that we do this to our children. I am remebering the sheer high pitched shriek Isabel gave as she entered the butterfly garden this morning.

My challenge as I talk with Sarayu is to show me every day how to be more present with my children to enjoy the here and now without getting stuck in the past or fixed upon the future I think I need. It is to dance with Isabel or rock out in the car with her because I am not so preoccupied. It is to play with Ariana without wondering what the time is and what I still need to do. I asked Sarayu to show me how to do this better not only for me but for everyone that is in relationship with me especially my children. I want to empower my children while keeping good boundaries with them so they can develop into the children that God created them to be.

What is it about stories that keeps Isabel transfixed. "Tell me a story mommy, you tell me a story?" When I do I can see the amazement and wonder in her eyes as she is completely present- she's not thinking about folding the laundry or what else she has to do. As adults its different as we have responsibilities but I still make the choice to be present or not and when I'm not- I am not fully alive, just going through the motions of being alive. This is truly the gift that God intended us to have. Thank you for our freedom- it installs passion, desire, creativity, inspiration and love.


1 comment:

snoel said...

Thanks, Kath, for reminding me to "Be Here Now!"