Wednesday, July 29, 2009

Grandpa Powell's Funeral

A few weeks ago our family went down to Boonville, Indiana for Derek's grandpa's funeral (grandpa Powell). He lived a full life and died at age 94. His grandmother (grandma Powell) is 90 and is as sharp as ever. She has a cell, dabbles in the email, and has been known to outwit Derek at times. Grandpa Powell was a big part of Derek's life, especially in his formative years and so the funeral was quite emotional for him. Isabel, who is 2 and a half, attended the funeral-well-she almost didn't. On our first attempt at attending, Bel sat for a few seconds and promptly got up and started making the rounds. This was not appropriate respect to be showing for the dead. Derek told me please to take the kids outside. On the second attempt, after having had the talk with Isabel about her behavior, I bravely entered the service. This time she didn't even make it to the seat but proceeded to run about in front of the casket, trying to entertain a rather tough crowd. Her dad feeling the stress of it all told the three of us to wait outside. I must say I felt a little banished myself. Isabel was distraught- she was crying, which got Ariana crying and so I found myself outside the funeral home in Boonville with one girl on each hip trying to comfort them, while trying to hear parts of the service.

Isabel understood a lot of what was going on and wanted to be in the service with her dad. "If only I could sit still" she was thinking. Lucky for me, Meme came to the rescue and took Isabel back inside to the front row, nogal. (translated from Afrikaans to mean- as well, if you can believe it). Eventually I found the courage to go in, with Ariana in the Bijorn, bouncing up and down, I listened to the rest of the service and was able to sit next to my husband who was grieving. Isabel, who had sat still on Meme's lap the entire time because of the monsters that would come out if she didn't (Meme has so many tricks), ran up to her dad who was crying and after he picked her up, she said, "You sad daddy? I wipe your tears?" How compassionate, how astute and how loving she is.

While this was going on, Ariana and I were standing outside waiting for grandma Powell, who had been married to her husband for 70 years, to walk past. As I hugged her, she reached out and touched Ariana and I began to sob. I was suddenly and profoundly aware of the generations before her that made her life possible and that have contributed to her life before she was even born. I was profoundly grateful for the lives of Derek's grandparents, his parents and for him.

Four generations of Powells on Terry's (Derek's dad) side and five generations on his brother, Ronnie's side. That is longevity at its best. Grandpa Powell leaves not only many fond memories but a legacy of loving family members behind. Grandma Powell walked out sad, but strong. I can't even imagine how hard that must have been.

No comments: